United to create living wage jobs while rebuilding our communities and the economy to benefit all our neighbors and friends.
History and Structure
Chartered in 1968 by the Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA), LIUNA Minnesota & North Dakota, a.k.a. Laborers District Council, is based in Saint Paul and led by President & Business Manager Joel Smith.
The District Council is responsible for:
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements for affiliated Local Unions
- Fostering harmony and united action between affiliated Local Unions
- Coordinating and supporting the programs of Local Unions
- Promoting unity of action in dealing with employers
- Organizing the unorganized
The Laborers’ District Council is based in Saint Paul and serves the members, families and retirees of five Local Unions: Local 563 (Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro, Mankato & Saint Cloud Areas & North Dakota); Local 405 (Rochester & Southeast Minnesota); Local 1091 (Duluth-Superior, Northeast Minnesota & Northwest Wisconsin); Local 1097 (Iron Range & Northern Minnesota); and Local 363 (City & County Employees Union of Minneapolis-Saint Paul & Greater Minnesota).
By the numbers